Sunday, February 3, 2013

Tau/Eldar Vs. Iron Hands Space Marines 1850

The Relic:

An Unexpected Result 

In preperation for the Marmalade Dog Tournament on the 9th of February, I schedule a practice game today with Brian, whom I've never played.  He had posted looking for a game on a facebook group I follow, and so we arranged to meet up, originally at 1500pts, but then I discovered I'd got my dates confused and that M.D. was 1850 not 1500, so we upped the limit so I could try out a new list.

We rolled "the relic" and "hammer and anvil" as mission/deployment.

I brought my Tau with Eldar allies utilizing some much maligned units as the M.D. tournament has some judging based on painting and modeling, and so I wanted to get in some of my better looking, or more heavily modified models.  This is what my list consisted of:

Total Roster Cost: 1848

HQ:  1 Commander Shadowsun, 175 pts

HQ:  1 Ethereal, 50 pts (yes I really put him on the board, and no he didn't die)

Troops: Fire Warrior (12#, 136 pts)
   11 Fire Warrior, 110 pts = 11 * 10
      1 Shas'ui, 26 pts = (base cost 20 + EMP Grenade 3 + Hard-wired Blacksun Filter 3)

Heavy Support: Broadside Shas'vre (4#, 298 pts)
   1 Broadside Shas'vre, 113 pts = (base cost 70 + Hard-wired Blacksun Filter 3 + Hard-wired Multi-tracker 5 + Hard-wired Target Lock 5 + Twin Linked Plasma Rifle 10 + Targeting Array 10 + Team Leader 5 + Shas'vre 5)
      1 Broadside Battlesuit, 85 pts = (base cost 70 + Twin Linked Plasma Rifle 10 + Multi-Tracker 5)
      1 Broadside Battlesuit, 85 pts = (base cost 70 + Twin Linked Plasma Rifle 10 + Multi-Tracker 5)
      1 Shield Drone, 15 pts

: Aegis Defence Lines (2#, 85 pts)
   1 Aegis Defence Lines, 50 pts
      1 Gun Emplacement, 35 pts = (base cost 0 + Icarus Lascannon 35)

Troops: Kroot Carnivore Squad (11#, 76 pts)
   10 Kroot Carnivore Squad, 70 pts = 10 * 7
      1 Kroot Hounds, 6 pts

HQ: Eldrad Ulthran (1#, 210 pts)

Troops: Pathfinders (Rangers) (5#, 120 pts)
   5 Pathfinders (Rangers) (Troops) [EL], 120 pts = 5 * 24 (base cost 19 + Pathfinders 5)

Heavy Support: Dark Reapers (5#, 217 pts)
   4 Dark Reapers (Heavy) [EL], 140 pts = 4 * 35
      1 Dark Reaper Exarch [EL], 77 pts = (base cost 47 +  Crack Shot  10 +  Fast Shot  20)

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship (1#, 145 pts)
   1 Hammerhead Gunship, 145 pts = (base cost 90 + Ion Cannon 15 + Two Burst Cannons 10 + Disruption Pod 5 + Multi-Tracker 10) + Blacksun Filter 5 + Sensor Spines 10

Heavy Support: Hammerhead Gunship (1#, 145 pts)
   1 Hammerhead Gunship, 145 pts = (base cost 90 + Ion Cannon 15 + Two Burst Cannons 10 + Disruption Pod 5 + Multi-Tracker 10) + Blacksun Filter 5 + Sensor Spines 10

Fast Attack: Vespid Stingwing (8#, 134 pts) (yup, Vespid, also didn't die)
   7 Vespid Stingwing, 112 pts = 7 * 16
      1 Strain Leader, 22 pts

Elite: Crisis Battlesuit (1#, 57 pts)
   1 Crisis Battlesuit, 57 pts = (base cost 25 + Flamer 4 + Hard-wired Multi-tracker 5 + Twin Linked Fusion Blaster 18 + Team Leader 5)

Brian fielded a list I'm not certain of, I will summarize with my best guess: (I came up 135 points short.. without his input I've no idea what I missed)

1850 Pts - Codex: Space Marines Roster - Space Marine, Iron Hands 1850

Total Roster Cost: 1715

HQ: Captain Darnath Lysander (1#, 200 pts)
   1 Captain Darnath Lysander, 200 pts

HQ: Space Marine Librarian in Power Armour (1#, 125 pts)
   1 Space Marine Librarian in Power Armour, 125 pts = (base cost 100 + Jump Pack 25)

Elite: Terminator Assault Squad (5#, 200 pts)
   4 Terminator Assault Squad, 160 pts = 4 * 40
      1 Sergeant, 40 pts

Troops: Tactical Squad (11#, 235 pts)
   9 Tactical Squad, 147 pts = 9 * 16 (base cost 16) + Sergeant 51
      1 Sergeant, 48 pts = (base cost 23) + Power Fist x1 25
      1 Razorback, 40 pts

Troops: Tactical Squad (11#, 225 pts)
   9 Tactical Squad, 147 pts = 9 * 16 (base cost 16) + Sergeant 41
      1 Sergeant, 38 pts = (base cost 23) + Plasma Pistol x1 15
      1 Razorback, 40 pts

Troops: Tactical Squad (6#, 145 pts)
   4 Tactical Squad, 67 pts = 4 * 16 (base cost 16) + Sergeant 41
      1 Sergeant, 38 pts = (base cost 23) + Plasma Pistol x1 15
      1 Razorback, 40 pts

Heavy Support: Predator (1#, 85 pts)
   1 Predator, 85 pts = (base cost 60 + Heavy Bolter (each side) 25)

Fast Attack: Storm Talon Gunship (1#, 130 pts)
   1 Storm Talon Gunship, 130 pts

: Aegis Defence Lines (2#, 100 pts)
   1 Aegis Defence Lines, 50 pts
      1 Gun Emplacement, 50 pts = (base cost 0 + Quad-gun 50)

Fast Attack: Assault Squad (5#, 100 pts)
   4 Assault Squad, 72 pts = 4 * 18
      1 Sergeant, 28 pts

Elite: Ironclad Dreadnought (2#, 170 pts)
   1 Ironclad Dreadnought, 135 pts
      1 Drop Pod, 35 pts


Brian won the roll off to choose sides, and we deployed our fortifications, he then set up a narrative terrain board while I was digging my models out of my army bag/boxes..  After we rolled Warlord traits (he got a scoring HQ, I got move through cover then promptly forgot about it all game) and psychic powers (don't recall what his librarian used, I got preciance, perfect timing, psychic shreak, and dominate) we rolled for night fighting (not on turn 1) and for deployment.  He won the rolloff and chose to go first.



He held the dreadnaught/dropod, Warlord attached to Terminators, and Stormtalon in reserve.  He combat squaded the two large tactical squads, placing the hvy wpns portions behind the defense line, while putting the 3 non heavy weapon teams into the Razorbacks.  The assault team with librarian attached, and the predator also deployed behind the defense line.






I in turn deployed with Eldrad and my Ethereal attached to the broadside team with Eldrad touching the Icarus Lascannon.  Shadowsun deployed also in contact of the Lascannon.  The firewarriors deployed against my defense line, with the Vespid behind them (the first time I've started a game with them not in reserve) and the Kroot encircled Shadowsun and Eldrad to give cover and prevent assaults.  The Darkreapers deployed in a piece of terrain in the back right corner, while the Pathfinder/rangers infiltrated in terrain in the DMZ.  The Ion-Heads deployed with their backs to the board edge to avoid easy back armor shots (I give up first blood quite often by forgetting to do this) and I reserved the Monat Crisis suit.

I then rolled to sieze, and for the first time in ages, did so.  I then forgot to ask how Brian handled Psychic powers, weather they occur at the start of the players movement phase, or the beginning of the Psychers movement phase as indicated in the brb under the description for blessings.  I also forgot that Eldrad can move D3+1 units prior to Scout moves.. as I deployed second, that was less important, but I then also forgot my scout moves.. I'll have to make a note for the tournament, those two things could cost me a game.



Turn 1, Top: Lacking any psychic activity, I moved the Ion-heads forward (totally blocking half of the Dark reapers LOS in the process) and they each fired at a seperate Razorback, but scored one hit and a glance I believe.  The broadsides who would have normally fired on the Quadgun and Predator chose instead to fire on the Razorback to the left of the defense line (from my perspective) because he had reinforced the defense line to a 3+ cover save, and two of the broadsides had a clear shot on the razorback.  I also fired the icarus at said razorback as part of that squads fire.  This was enough to explode it (1") and gave me first blood.  Not sure what I shot the other units at this turn.



Turn 1, bottom:  He deepstruck in his Dreadnaught near an ion-head after it scattered away from my Warlord (I put a glancing hit on it with interceptor fire from the icarus).  He moved his remaining Razorbacks forward, and followed the one on the right with his assault squad.  That razorback also popped smoke.  The dreadnaught scored a hit on the Ion-Head and it exploded (thank goodness I had siezed and already had first blood).  I believe he also killed the shield drone from my broadsides, and a firewarrior that turn.


Turn 2, Top:  My Monat Crisis suit arrived and landed on target, is subsequently scored a penetrating hit but only managed to destroy the main gun on the Predator, and got one hit on the squad on the other side of it with it's flamer.   Shadowsun jumped towards the dreadnaught and split-fire on it and the drop pod with her fusion blasters.  She exploded the pod, but immobilized the dreadnaught leaving it with one hull point.  razorback and destroying the gun.



The Dark Reapers (3) in it's rear arc fired on it scoring one glancing hit and wrecked it.  My remaining Ion-head advanced and shot at the left razorback immobilizing it.  The broadsides with prescience split fire at the right razorback and the quad gun exploding the I think the pathfinders fired on either the assault squad, or the marines in the crater of the recently exploded razorback.  Shadowsun moved back into contact with the Icarus




Turn 2, Bottom:  This is the point where the game took a bad turn for Brian.  His Warlord and assault terminators attempted to deepstrike in behind my broadside team.  Instead they scattered onto the kroot and mishapped.  He rolled a 3, and I got to place them.  Normally this would mean they landed in the far corner never to be seen again.  However, it being his warlord, I wanted him where I could shoot at him, so I placed him in the center of the board between the relic and the ruin in his zone. 

Had I remembered at the time that his warlord was scoring, I may have put him in the corner anyway, but I forgot, and it worked out to my favor in the end.  His Stormtalon also arrived from reserves, zoomed in to the center of the board, and was promptly shot and exploded by the Icarus interceptor fire.  I felt bad about that one as it was just pure bad luck on his part that I got a lucky hit, and he never even got to fire his weapons on the thing..  He ran his terminators towards the relic, shot his missile launchers, moved his Assault squad and Librarian towards my defense line, disembarked from the imobilized and only remaining Razorback,  and shot at, then assaulted my Monat Crisis suit.  I scored 3 hits with the flamer, and a hit with the Fusion Blaster in overwatch and killed two marines.  He had put a wound on my in shooting, but I saved all the assault wounds, and failed to inflict any, we remained locked in combat.



Turn 3, Top: I believe it was this turn that I technically screwed up on my Psychic phase.. Eldrad is allowed to cast 3 powers a turn, so I put prescience on both the Vespid, and the Firewarriors, then, as I planned to fire on the terminators with my broadsides, I also cast it on the broadsides instead of perfect timing, as they would grant no cover to them anyway, and the terminators were out of range of my psychic screach which I have yet to use..  Problem with this is that Eldrad can only cast the same power twice a turn (due to his staff), and had already used Prescience twice.. Ultimately it had no impact on the game as the Icarus couldn't fire having fired interceptor fire on turn 2, and all the rest of my weapons are already twin linked.. But it annoys me to forget that sort of thing even if it was my 4th game ever using psychers.. Another place for a note to be written so I don't forget apparently.  The vespid moved up 6" on the ground so they could use their jump move to Hammer of Wrath the assault marines (which are behind that piece of terrain with the columns), however, between their now twin-linked Str 5 AP3 shooting, and the Dark Reapers Str 5 Ap3 shooting, the assault squad was wiped out, so no assault was required. The firewarriors shot at the 2 marines in the Razorback crater to the right killing one.  The broadsides, the Ion-Head and what kroot could fired at his Warlord killing three Terminators.  Again, I've no idea where the Pathfinders fired, but I think it was at the terminators.

Turn 3, Bottom:  He moved the terminators/warlord into contact with the Relic.  Moved the tac squad to the left up to the ruins.  I think the missile launchers may have fired on the Icarus this turn but failed to kill it causing 1 wound.  The assault continued but no unsaved wounds were inflicted.  The heavy bolters on the predator fired at and killed one pathfinder.

 Turn 4, Top:  I moved the vespid up the right flank.  Moved the Ion-head up around towards the terminators/relic, while moving my firewarriors and Kroot towards the Relic.  Shadowsun followed suit and moved up to engage the terminators with her 12" fusion blasters (heaven forbid the Tau figure out the 24" multi-melta technology), and everyone else remained in place.  The vespid shot and killed the seargent in the razorback crater, and everyone else fired at the Terminators eventually killing them.  The assault continued to no effect.

Turn 4, Bottom:  Brian conceded the game at this point.  I was up 2 points to none, and there was no chance he could score linebreaker.  With all his transports out of commission he'd have had to foot slog the two missile launcher Tac squads up 16 or so inches to reach the relic meaning he could only get there at best bottom of turn 5, and with the majority of my army still in play that just wasn't going to happen.

The final board condition after turn 4
 

I think this game could have gone vastly differently if not for the lack of terrain.  Having the relic in the middle of a no-mans land with no cover, and nothing blocking my shooting to his defense line really made it tough to get near the relic, and tougher still to survive when exposed to that much shooting.  Brian chose the narrative terrain as he felt it would be faster, and I'm not sure how much more terrain he had on hand, but I still feel the alternating terrain gives a better result and lets you place some terrain to your advantage rather than feeling obligated to make it "fair".. It's war, I don't think it should be fair if you can help it..  When I was in the marines they always liked to say "Be prepared to die for your country, but make the other guy die for his".. I'm not sure how that applies here, but I'm going to claim that "gaming it" by placing terrain to your advantage, is a step toward that goal. 

Thanks for the Game Brian, and I'll look forward to a rematch, perhaps at the tournament in Lansing on the 16th?

1 comment: