Thursday, January 24, 2013

Vanguard Strike Deployment

Why is this not in the BRB?

So, after playing numerous games, and watching numerous games played with people trying to measure out the stupid deployment zones for Vanguard Strike in 6th Edition, I drew up this quick diagram in 3ds Max to determine what the measurements along the board edges were for said deployment to avoid the fiasco of measuring corner to corner then measuring perpendicular to that to find 12" from the center blah blah blah...  So, with out further ado, here is the chart: (I'd been using 48" and 33" so I was slightly off, but I don't think it made a huge impact on my games)

6 comments:

  1. I may round those to 33 1/2" and 50 1/2" in my games just for the ease of remembering the numbers easier. I don't think 5/32" are going to break the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of interest, why measure the long distances and not the short ones? 21.5" on the long edge and 14.5" on the short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couple reasons.. First being that you are measuring your deployment zone, and thus defining a positive space. Measuring the other way your are measuring the area you can't be in, a negative space. I like to be positive, glass half full perspective of things. Also, it's just a best practice/measuring standard to dimension the area you are defining for tolerance purposes. Second, if you are standing in your deployment corner, it's easier to reach the 33.5 inches that start in your corner, than it is the remaining 14.5 that aren't, especially if you have a cheap/small/flexible tape measure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see it as measuring a positive space, more defining where I'm going to drop a line of dice as a boundary. Plus, seeing as I'm rounding anyway, not sure the tolerances matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was being cheeky.. Measure it anyway you see fit.. I was just giving a reference to facilitate deploying with out all the hassle of the diagonal/perpendicular measuring nonsense. For what it's worth, rounding off to 33.5 and 50.5 add's 1.02 square inches to the deployment zones area, though that square inch is stretched out over the 60 or so inch hypotenuse of the triangular deployment zone, equating to something like .012" of extra space on the long edge, but losing a bit on the short edge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Helpful and will add to my game assists.

    BDS

    ReplyDelete